+7
Completed

Vector Images

Joe 6 years ago in IQANdesign updated by Gustav Widén (System support) 3 years ago 6

It would be so nice if we could load and resize vector images (.svg) directly on the screen in the design environment.  This would make screen layout much faster.

Oh yes, indeed I agree with this... Graphics is one area I spend a lot of time to get the interface perfectly laid out and looking smooth. So I rely on software like Autocad and Solidworks to produce the images or renderings that I then alter and resize in Photoshop or CorelDraw to then be used in IQANdesign either as staitc images or animations. 

But I have also thought that it would be so much quicker if I could just resize an image right there in the iqan editor. Especially when I'm doing animations and sequences. 

When working on a layout and I later decide the graphic sizes must change a bit, that then means I have to resize and save every single image of that animation in photoshop or coreldraw again to replace the old images in iqan design... That does take up a lot of time.

It would have been so nice if it was possible to just select a group of images (no matter what format) and just resize it by either entering a size or click and dragging a corner to adjust the size.

Really hope something like this might be possible in the near future.

You may want to give Inkscape a try. It's a free vector graphics software.  I draw in the CAD system or copy 2D renderings of 3D models directly from the CAD software into Inkscape.  From there you can manipulate/change the image as a scalable vector graphic without losing any image resolution.  

The part I don't like is having to size the image and export it as a .png file in order to use it on the screen.  I find myself resizing and exporting a lot in order to get what I want.

The other free imaging software you will also find useful is GIMP, to make raster images. I have used both Inkscape and GIMP before, it is basically a free equivalent of Photoshop and Coreldraw. 

But using any of these mentioned graphical software will still take the same amount of time to resize an image and import to back to IQAN, which same like you I also do quite a lot to get the result I want... 

So hopefully the developers can have a look at adding such feature... Along with this request --> http://forum.iqan.se/forums/1-software/topics/134-zoom-tool-in-iqandesign/ <-- then doing graphical design in Iqan would become a lot more efficient. 

Vector images would sure be a nice addition. We have this on the list of features to implement and I have added your input to this case (might help with the prioritization).

Note however that scaling images within IQANdesign will probably just be for vector graphics. Images created with photoshop or other bitmapped based tools will not be resizable within IQANdesign. It would just decrease the image quality with every resize.

+1
Completed

Support for SVG images in IQANdesign image library and display page editor added in 6.05, see news post for an example: 

https://forum.iqan.se/en/communities/1/topics/2704-iqandesign-605-released