Sluggish touch response MD4-5

Kevin 3 years ago in Master modules / MD4 updated by Gustav Widén (System support) 1 year ago 8

MD4-5 M19 version, having issues with the touch panel. Noticed that the problem is more pronounced when using smaller buttons on screen. By using larger touch buttons the issue seems to be improved but not perfect. The screen responds to the press (it goes orange) but does not actually process the command to exit the screen. Seems very temperamental. Is there a built in delay to prevent button bounce that could be causing this phenomenon? We also tried without the screen protector and had similar issues. I tried without filming and was pressing the screen very firmly and around 6 times before it would register the button press (sometimes it went orange and did nothing, other times it did not even change colour).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/79olplst1uopn2d/VID_20210720_100406.3gp?dl=0

IQAN Design 5.06.

Did you try IQAN Design 6.06?

There is  bug fix for:

54679MD4-5-M19 touch button latching on
Could happen in some cases. Fixed.

Maybe it is related to your problem.

The 6.06 update solves a issue where the MD4-5-M19 touch buttons could latch on, I recommend upgrading to this version. 

But also with the 6.06 update, we have seen that the MD4-5-M19 touch is not as responsive as the previous version, the MD4-7 or the MD4-10.

One factor that could influence the responsiveness on the MD4-5-M19 is the application cycle time and cycle utilization. 

We have also noticed this issue. We have a cycle time of 50ms and version of iqan design 6.08.24.8136, so the problem is still actuall

Another factor for the MD4-5-M19 that influence the responsiveness is the size of buttons. 

The MD4-7 and -10 have better precision, on the MD4-5-M19 the combination of button size and touch input precision can make it hard to hit the touch button.

With version 6.08 this is improved by increasing the touch zone for the smallest buttons, see Release notes - IQANdesign 6

55482MD4: increase minimum touch zone for symbol buttons
Symbol buttons on display pages and in menu system now have a touch area slightly larger than the button.
This is especially useful on MD4-5-M19, where touch precision has been a problem.

This update is only for the symbol buttons and round buttons in the menu system. 

If the application display page uses custom buttons, then an idea to try can be to increase the button size and thus the touch zone with a larger transparent area. 

Hello gustav,

I don't think that we understood each other correctly.

At this video it  makes clear what I mean of the touch response of te MD4 at the touchbuttons in the display. Sometimes they are touched (button lights up), but not selected. Picture below shows MD4 software data

Image 3551

From the video, it looks like the menu system and message buttons always react. 

And that the remaining problem seem to be with display page buttons? 

From seeing this, I am guessing these buttons are linked to VDIN channels? Then this symptom could be due to an issue with the application logic and/or utilization. 

This are not VDIN channels, but text buttons following by an action. Sometimes they are groupped, but that make no difference with an ungroupped text button.

I noticed that when my finger makes a little,little, little swipe, than the button lights orange, but not reacts. MD4-5 (M19) is more sensitive for al little swipe than the MD4-7. When the swipe is bigger, than both MD4's text buttons lights up but doesn't react.

When I concentrate to hold my finger still, then it seems that te tects buttons reacts every time. I don't know if weather conditions matter, but the tested MD4's  20°C and dry

Hopefully you does understand my english this time.

Kind regard, Laura

Ah, now I see what is going on. 

The reaction of touch buttons that perform a display action is on release of the button.  The button lights up directly when you press it, and then the action is performed when you remove the finger from the button. 

The release must be with the finger still in the touch zone. 

If you slide out, that is like a cancel operation. 

MD4-7 has two advantages over the MD4-5. The display is bigger and with that the size of the buttons. The MD4-7 also has better precision on the touch compared to MD4-5-M19. 

In version 6.08, round sympol buttons have an increased rectangular touch zone around them. This increase the touch zone and if it is positioned close to the edge, it fills the gap between button and the edge of the display.

A similar fix for your application with the text buttons could be to position the buttons so they go all the way to the edge of the MD4-5 display page. 

If that does not look good on the display page, or it is still not responsive enough, what you could also do is to replace the text buttons with custom buttons. Then you can make a transparent touch zone that goes outside of the buttons, same method that is now built in on the symbol buttons.