Under review

URGENT: MC41FS Critical Errors

Julian Robinson 2 years ago in Master modules / MC4x updated by Gustav Widén (System support) 2 years ago 2

Hi there,

I have a critical problem with MC41-FS stand alone controllers (ie it’s not connected on Multi-Master system). FW level 6.05.18.6047

We see operation continuous for about 2 months with no error, then multiple devices on the same mahcine just stop working ll within minutes of each other (with no CAN output) and no reported/broadcast faults or recorded System Log errors. This problem is seen on multiple machines now, and a pattern is emerging of this failure. Resetting 24V power, resets the module and the error.

Clearly having a module just stop operating with no reported or logged system errors is very dangerous, as we have no means to quickly diagnose.

We have managed to collect the LED blink code when in error state: This sequence is not listed in the manuals.

Blink code

4x RED

Stop

1x AMBER

Stop

21 AMBER

Stop

2x AMBER

Stop

1x AMBER

Stop

2x AMBER

Notes:

• There are 3x MC41-FS modules per machine (all independent)
  • MC41FS power supply is continuous 24V
  • The machine has a "main" Multi Master system which comprises of 2x MD4-7 and 3x MC43FS modules all on MM system.
  • The 3 independent MC41FS modules are connected to each MC43FS module on J1939. As far as MM system is concerned, the MC41's are another J1939 module on the common J1939 line.
  • The machine MM system is operated with switched power supply (24V)

Originally I thought this was possibly a CAN bus issue, but no other IQAN modules are reporting CAN bus errors (ie the MC43 modules) as they share the same J1939.

There is one possible interaction between MC43 and MC41 module that could be contributing (depending on what the fault LED codes are from above). The MC41FS module has enabled TDA for time sync, and the MC43 is configured to send TDA PGN onto the shared J1939 continuously every 10 seconds to time sync the MC41FS. As mentioned above, the MC43 modules are connected on switched power, and the MC41 on continuous. So very night the MC43 (and full MM system) is powered down overnight). I am unsure if this is a problem, or has no effect.

Please can someone contact me to discuss this directly. I am not able to share the project file publically.

Julian

Blink Code Update: The long Amber code is in fact 22 (not 21)

Also, we have a video recording of the LED sequence to share..

IMG_1200.MOV

Blink code

4x RED

Stop

1x AMBER

Stop

22 AMBER (updated)

Stop

2x AMBER

Stop

1x AMBER

Stop

2x AMBER

Under review

Thank you, I got some additional info on this from a colleague at Parker Australia.