How to Perform CPU Overload Testing for the Parker MC43 Module?

Sayan Biswas 1 month ago updated by Lars Bolduc 1 month ago 1

Hello,

I’m working with the Parker MC43 module and need to perform CPU overload testing to ensure it handles high loads effectively and remains stable under stress. Could anyone provide guidance or best practices on how to conduct CPU overload tests for the MC43 module? Specifically, I’m looking for:

1. Testing Methodology: What are the recommended methods or tools for simulating high CPU loads on the MC43 module?
  2. Configuration Details: Are there specific settings or configurations within the MC43 module that I need to adjust to perform these tests?
  3. Monitoring: What tools or techniques should be used to monitor CPU load and performance during testing?
  4. Thresholds and Limits: Are there known thresholds or limits for CPU usage on the MC43 module that I should be aware of?
  5. Troubleshooting: What common issues should I watch for during stress testing, and how can I address them?

Any advice or resources related to performing these tests would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your help.

I don't think it can be stress tested like you think. It's a PLC and runs with a fixed cycle time.

If you write code, and it has sufficient cycle time to run it, then it will waste the rest of the cycle time idle.

If you write code, and it would take longer than the cycle time to run it, the PLC will not execute the code after that point, starting back at the beginning with no error.

If you consider executing code up until the end of the cycle time, a stress test, then you would want to run the smallest cycle time available to that module and write extremely computation intensive code somehow.

As for checking your 'utilization', which is the % of the cycle time being used. When you're hooked up with your laptop you can monitor that by clicking on the module while measuring.