+3

IQANConnect for batch updates

mdaigneault 5 years ago updated 5 years ago 9

Hello IQAN Team,

We will be deploying many units to different locations, all of the same product. We would like to explore the possibility for batch updating of the IQAN software via the IQANConnect interface. Today, for updates, we will have to manually connect to each system, one by one, while it is online and not in function, to update it. This is ok for 1 or 2 units, but not optimal for 100s of units that must all be updated.

What we'd like, is the possibility for the system to "auto-update" when we have a new IQAN software version available and X and Y conditions are met (system is not operational, HW matches the SW we are pushing, etc).

I understand that IQANConnect was not designed in this way, but we are exploring how this can be done, either with Connect or another app, and what are your thoughts on this. Today, all our MD4 controllers will have access to the internet via their ethernet port.

Thanks for the excellent support.

Marc Daigneault.

Pushing this back to the top, hoping for a response.

Update would be appreciated please, as per technical fesability of this request.

If batch update is not possible... What about sharing update file using Dropbox and then each machine operator updates his/her Iqan system using their smartphone + G11 bluetooth and IQAN sync app? That is quite simple if you have manual how to do it. When each machine operator updates own machine, then your service is not overloaded.

Clients don't want to update their equipment. We don't want them to update their equipment. Not feasible as how would we assure a safety critical feature/fix has been done or not.

I understand and we have same problem. But if you update remotely, client still have to be there keep machine online and press allow remote update. Also remote update takes about x 10 more time than than downloading update file from smartphone memory using G11 to MD4. So less time to you and for your client. Only couple clicks more to your client. Ofcourse, some clients still needs your support, but in my experience most can do it if update manual is good. Also you can use nearest dealer or support to visit client and check that update is done, if update is not done, then help customer to do it. Ofcourse that would be really good if some better update procedure would come :)

My longest time what I tried to one remote update was about 2 hours. Update failed about 20 times. Client waited next the machine and asked every 1 minute when the update is ready. Finally I asked, does he want to update machine byhimself if I share the file and send update manual. He was happy to do it. Now I have always shared update file by Dropbox and clients have used their smartphones for updating without problems.

I appreciate your insights, however, the question still remains on how to do batch updates over IQANConnect.

How are your MD4s connected to the internet?  Are they stationary/mobile?  I am searching for a similar solution.

LTE Bridge. Updates take < 30s.