Answered

Back-up camera: How can I overlay a grid overtop of the video stream to give perpective to the image?

Argy Tzouhas 9 years ago in IQANdesign updated by Captain Sprocket 5 years ago 5
I am trying to add a grid of green yellow and red lines to give the back-up image some perspective and meaning but everything I have tried gets blocked by the video stream.
Is there some way to set the lines to always be on top?

Answer

PINNED
Answered
For performance reasons, the video control on the MD4 overwrites everything on the screen, that is the reason for the "overlapping video conrols" warning that Ulrik mentions.

But there might be another way, depending on what camera or video encoder you use. E.g. the Axis cameras and video encoders can be configured to add an overlay image on the video stream. I have only tried it with some simple text information and seen that this works, their manuas show that it is also possible to upload an image to the camera and use as an overlay. See for example:
http://www.axis.com/files/manuals/um_q7424r_45412_en_1203.pdf
GOOD, I'M SATISFIED
Satisfaction mark by Argy Tzouhas 9 years ago
Currently we do not support overlapped controls on video. If you have overlapping controls in your project, IQANdesign will generate a warning.

PINNED
Answered
For performance reasons, the video control on the MD4 overwrites everything on the screen, that is the reason for the "overlapping video conrols" warning that Ulrik mentions.

But there might be another way, depending on what camera or video encoder you use. E.g. the Axis cameras and video encoders can be configured to add an overlay image on the video stream. I have only tried it with some simple text information and seen that this works, their manuas show that it is also possible to upload an image to the camera and use as an overlay. See for example:
http://www.axis.com/files/manuals/um_q7424r_45412_en_1203.pdf

No, the video control is designed to draw on the top, for performance reasons.

Will there be provision made for such capability in future updates? 

Also what type of performance issues would occur if it was possible to place a static *.png file over the feed?

We have the need to apply custom overlays on existing machines for the operators to make sense of the world in view, but the idea of adding extra components or changing camera systems is something the customers/engineers are very reluctant to do, due to the added cost and setup etc.

The only quick "effective" solution would be to place a decal over the camera feed area on the display... Meaning it would be fine for operation, but the problem is that THERE WILL BE A DECAL ON THE SCREEN if you want to do anything else than looking at the camera feed...

So hopefully there will be an IQAN solution in the future. If possible.