Answered

Multiple Main Group?

James A 8 years ago in IQANdesign updated by Ulrik Zakariasson (Software development) 8 years ago 1

I am using a MD3 with the cycle time set to 10ms under the Main Group.

The cycle time needs to be that low because it is important for the IQAN system to be as responsive as possible for the machine it is being used in and prevent a malfuntion. As time has progressed the IQAN program has evolved the utilization rate has continued to climb.

Is it possible to have a multi-threaded program, or maybe multiple main groups? I'm thinking 1 main group with all the critical functions with a cycle time of 10ms and a seperate group with a higher cycle time of say 50ms.

I am making use of function groups and disabling them as needed but I was hoping for a better solution esp. for the critical time sensitive functions.

Answered

No, this is not possible. Even if we had this feature it is complex due to the fact that at certain points all your code will have to be executed within one cycle time, i.e. when your different cycles coincide.

You can solve this by using a separate master module for parts of your application (i.e. a multi-master system), or switch to a higher performance master (MD4).