+3

Machine Number Identification

Alex 8 years ago in IQANdesign updated by Ulrik Zakariasson (Software development) 8 years ago 1

Hello,

Recently I had an issue where code meant for machine A was uploaded onto machine B, and machine B was able to halfway function. To prevent this issue in the future, I want to have some sort of identifier that the MD4 or MDL2 can read and either continue running or throw a message saying "Incompatible Code" and quit.

So far I have thought of a few possible solutions. If possible, I would like to do this over CANbus so I don't use up input pins.Ideally, it would be nice to have a module that broadcasts a serial number or identifier over CANbus that the MD4 can read and compare to a list of acceptable machines. Another idea would be to have the MD4 check a certain "identifier" module's address and only run the code if it can find it. Worse case scenario, we can use some sort of hardware tag, like a resistor, to send a voltage to one of the input pins.

Since I am a novice with IQAN software, I am curious if you have any better ways to do this. How would I implement such a feature?

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it!

Hi Alex,

Two applications that are not compatible, i.e. meant for different machine types, should have different project ID's. This will present a warning to the person trying to send an incompatible application to a machine. You can read more about project ID's in the IQANdesign user manual, chapter 1.