+6
Under review

J1939 / Generic on the same bus

Rick 1 year ago in IQANdesign • updated by chuck.emmons 2 months ago 6

Currently its not possible to have J1939 & Generic on the same line... why not? As long as the bitcount (29) and KBPS are the same...

The thing is, I need some tricks from both systems. J1939 allows to handle engine messages more easily, and also allows to use the Page Mask byte(s), so the same PGN can be defined multiple times and split ways. But J1939 JFOUT does not allow to change the PGN programmatically, which is needed in this particular case in order to make a reusable library.

Generic JPOUTS do allow a dynamic messageID's, but don't bring the other benefits...

Got to correct. JPIN blocks actually do allow Page Masking. So that reduces the problem. Still, it would be a handy feature being able to mix them.

The project I'm currently working this would be very helpful because one of the modules utilizes J1939 for control but the diagnostic messages are generic 11-bit.

Under review

Changing this to feature request

I hope being able to put an ext generic and j1939 with same kbps together on the same physical port is possible in the near future.  What is the status?

This can be done already, although you have to define your frame channels as GFIN / GFOUT for J1939 messages.  This should be a work around for now.

is it possible to do the other way around. Define frames as JFOUT/JFIN for extended generic, if the receiver does not care about the SA?