Answered

is Parker IQAN the same as the XR protocol?

Captain Sprocket 7 months ago in IQANdesign • updated by Gustav Widén (System support) 6 months ago 2
While trying to set up a Hetronic receiver that I want to connect to a MD4-7/mc42 multi master system I noticed that there is a "Parker IQAN" protocol in the HETRONIC confiuration. 

Is this the same as the XR protocol and also does anyone have any tips or suggestions to properly set this up?

I have never used the Hetronic radio myself, but this must be their implementation of the Parker IQAN XR module. 

If you make a new application with the XR protocol, be aware of this 5.03 issue (will be fixed in 5.04): 

https://forum.iqan.se/knowledge-bases/2/articles/1357-iqandesign-503-no-contact-with-some-xr-units

If you are in a hurry, setting up the radio as XR should be quick. Just add an XR module to the IQANdesign system layout and start adding channels to it. 

If you can spend a bit more time and prepare the machine for future additions like hand held units with display, then I think it could be worth going for a design where you can use a J1939 or CANopen version of the radio module. 

A mix between the two would be to use XR now, but place it on a separate bus away from normal IQAN expansions, which makes it possible for you to later change to e.g. CANopen without re-wiring the machine.