Answered

is Parker IQAN the same as the XR protocol?

Captain Sprocket 6 years ago in IQANdesign updated by Gustav Widén (System support) 5 years ago 2

While trying to set up a Hetronic receiver that I want to connect to a MD4-7/mc42 multi master system I noticed that there is a "Parker IQAN" protocol in the HETRONIC confiuration. 

Is this the same as the XR protocol and also does anyone have any tips or suggestions to properly set this up?

Image 1329

I have never used the Hetronic radio myself, but this must be their implementation of the Parker IQAN XR module. 

If you make a new application with the XR protocol, be aware of this 5.03 issue (will be fixed in 5.04): 

https://forum.iqan.se/knowledge-bases/2/articles/1357-iqandesign-503-no-contact-with-some-xr-units

If you are in a hurry, setting up the radio as XR should be quick. Just add an XR module to the IQANdesign system layout and start adding channels to it. 

If you can spend a bit more time and prepare the machine for future additions like hand held units with display, then I think it could be worth going for a design where you can use a J1939 or CANopen version of the radio module. 

A mix between the two would be to use XR now, but place it on a separate bus away from normal IQAN expansions, which makes it possible for you to later change to e.g. CANopen without re-wiring the machine.