Answered

Do master modules ignore the terminating function of the terminating address/ID tags (0T, 1T, etc...)?

Justin Wagner 4 years ago in IQANdesign updated by Gustav Widén (System support) 4 years ago 5

Many of our systems use a master module (MD4, MD3, or MC43) and I've noticed that a lot of our designs specify a terminating address/ID tag to be used on these master modules. Will this mean that all CAN buses will be always be terminated internally, or can you still configure the internal terminations in IQANdesign?

For CAN buses that are configured to be internally terminated in IQANdesign, will using a terminating address tag in conjunction "double-terminte" this bus?

GOOD, I'M SATISFIED
Satisfaction mark by Justin Wagner 3 years ago
+1

Hi Justin, the IQAN masters ignore the termination in a tag.  The masters look at the setting for termination of a bus in the IQANdesign project file to determine if the bus will be terminated at that module.

Thank you, Kerry. That's what I suspected, but I wanted to confirm.

Are there any drawbacks to using the terminating address tag with master modules, besides the confusion it's caused me?

+1

There shouldnt be, but i've seen some odd behavior at times.  Could never prove that it was from using the T tags.  If using the non-T versions is an option, i would recommend that.

In idea worth noting, we have talked about whether it would be a good idea to have blank units from production look at the T-tag. 

Currently they don't, the masters default terminate until there is an application in the master.