+1
Completed

Access checksum from text file

Choeksema 3 years ago in IQANdesign updated by Gustav Widén (System support) 2 years ago 11

Is there a way to access the IQAN project checksum when it is saved as plain text?

Or maybe, is there a way I could generate it myself? I am just not sure what kind of checksum it is.

I want to be able to verify that a txt on my local computer is the same IQAN program as what is on a remote machine. It is running in a script so I can't open IQANdesign and look in the statistics menu.

The save as text does not include the project checksum. 

On idea for making the project checksum visible without having to open in IQANdesign could be to to show it in the file info on the .idax or .idsx in windows explorer, would that be a solution for you? 

That is a need I have seen for clone files, that could be incomplete clones and thus not possible to open in IQANdesign. 

I did not understand the part about how a script prevented you from opening the project file in IQANdesign?

The script will be a nightly service so it can't have any human interference. I can open the file but programmatically finding the checksum in the GUI menus likely will not work (I haven't been able to get it to work).

Getting the checksum from the file info might be a solution but currently the checksum doesn't show there. Is there a setting I need to change in IQAN to show this? File Info for .ida4 files shows some information but not the checksum and .idax files don't show anything at all.

Here are the windows I see in the File Info tab for *.idax and *.ida4 files. For an *.idax file (associated with IQANdesign 6.07), the window is blank. I looked through the manual for anything I might have missed for IQAN to populate this window but I didn't find anything. I think if the checksum can show here, I should be able to retrieve it. Files associated with IQANdesign 4.07 show some information but not the checksum. How would I make the checksum show in this window?

Just to clarify, the project checksum is currently not shown as part of the file info, but I think it could be a good addition. 

For the problem with no file info being shown, what Windows version are you on? 

Are you using Windows explorer or a different program?

Ah. That would be why I didn't see it. Sorry, I misunderstood.

I am using Windows 10 with Windows Explorer. The *.idax files are automatically set to open with the IQANdesign Launcher (as below). If I click the File Info tab, I get the smaller window shown below. If I change the file to open with to IQANdesign (6.04), the File Info tab doesn't show at all.

To be clear, is it not possible to calculate the checksum myself programmatically or is the only option to read it?

Under review

Strange that the file info isn't showing on your PC. I remember we had problem with showing the file info in Windows explorer in the past, but that was more than 5 years ago.

Correct, there is no method for calculating the project checksum from the exported text. The project checksum is over the complete project file, the text representation does not have any of the binary data like images for example. 

Is there a method for calculating the project checksum from the *.idax (or *.ida4) file itself? Or can you only read it from the menu?

What you could do is to add it as a system info channel, and then connect to a module that runs the application to measure it. With IQANscript you could save the measurement to a text file, like this: 

Under review

A more convenient way for you would of course be if it was included in the save as text. I've changed topic type from question to feature idea.

Completed

From 6.08, the project checksum is included as a line in the save as text.