Communicating using RS-485

Theleo De Bruyn 2 years ago in IQANdesign updated by anonymous 2 years ago 3

Hi there,

For a project I have to couple an IQANs system with a RS485 sensor. I was thinking a J1939/ CanOpen to RS485 converter could work. Has anyone done something like this?

Thank you in advance.

Theleo De Bruyn

+1

Hi Theleo

I have recently used the Axiomatic Modbus to J1939 convertor (RTU to J1939).  But this was for 25 odd parameters and not just a single sensor value.  There is also a product from MOXA Mgate which is good (Modbus TCP and RTU).  I searched far and wide, and there is not much on the market for RTU.

Julian

Thank you for your reply. 

I'm relative new to the serial protocols so correct me if i'm wrong. Modbus RTU / TCP is a kind of protocol. This means it has properties to work with. So those converters will use those properties? There is just one catch: My serial RS485 protocol is a unknown protocol for the community. This means I know the Baudrate, wiring, and also the protocol but it isn't for example modbus, profibus, J1922 or any other. Is there someting I can use so i can program the protocol?

Theleo

+1

I'm using the "Anybus Communicator", it is quite flexible. Besides Modbus you can define your own protocol with many different options.

Another option is "3onedata CAN485". This is completely transparent and can forward your data unchanged between CAN and RS485.