Adjustable PGN Value

Kerry Brock 10 months ago in IQANdesign updated 10 months ago 2

I am in the process of setting up an external function group for a third party controller. It uses J1939 communication and at least one of the PGN values changes based on the source address of the module. I could not find a way to make the PGN value adjustable in any way. (No dropdown to select a channel value.) I plan to use a few of these third party controllers in systems and therefore will have different source addresses. Is there a way to change the PGN value other than directly typing it in the JFOUT/JFIN channel? Ideally I would like to either use an integer parameter, maybe in an initialization group or integer math in this case since there is a base PGN+SA to make up the different PGN values.

"one of the PGN values changes based on the source address of the module"

Do you have this PGN? 

The base PGN should not change with module address.

But what you might have is PDU1 messages, where the module Destination Address (DA) is used in the PS byte. 

In IQANdesign you can set "assigned module" as DA on PDU1 messages.

Image 3901

Gustav,  This will work in this case, but I have another application where the PGN is in the PDU2 range: 63970 (adjustable).

I would like to be able to set the source address with an integer parameter, use a math channel to combine the base PGN and the source address and then use this value as the PGN.  This would be very helpful in external functions since we may not be able to use a PDU1 message and therefore the external function will not be of much use (cleanly) since the PGN potentially will need to be adjusted each time.