Answered

MD4 watchdog reset

Matt 2 months ago in IQANdesign updated by Gustav Widén (System support) 4 days ago 4

Image 4461

I just had one of my machines that's running a fairly standard program for us have a watchdog reset. Can anyone tell me from the contents of this screen what might have led to this?

Under review

A watchdog reset on the MD4 indicates that it has not been able to complete the application before the watchdog timeout period. The MD4 reacts by stopping the application and shows this screen. 

In theory this could happen in application that is very large. But it is not enough to run over the cycle time, the first thing that happens if you run over the cycle time is the MD4 skips the next cycle to completes the application calculation, and just report a cycle utilization high error. 

A watchdog timeout could also be a result of a bug. 

We are currently looking at a case where short bursts of CAN errors on MD4 buses A or B can occasional trigger a situation like this. 

A recommendation is to check the CAN buses with a CAN analyzer that is capable of recording CAN error frames, to see if there maybe are some physical installation problems on this machine. 

If the problem in your application is due to CAN errors, there will be an MD4 update that will solve it so it doesn't lead to watchdog timeout. 

Now that you mention it, we did have a device on CAN bus A which was later found to have a firmware bug. It would randomly drop off the network, perform an address claim, and then continue again until it had more issues at which time it would do this again. Will this be a hardware update to the MD4 or a firmware update? If firmware, will there be any chance that we will see an update in iQAN Design 6?

The planned bug fix update is in MD4 firmware, it will be in an IQANdesign 7.02.x release.

Answered

IQANdesign 7.02.33 released.