+2

Log an Array

Mark Walser 6 years ago in IQANdesign updated by Hugo Giroux 3 years ago 5

Is there a way to log an array.  I have 4 values that are put into an array that I want to log for future data analysis and logging them as 4 separate items does not allow for using the data effectively.

No, the log functionality does not include a feature for storing the contents of an array channel. You can drop an ARC in an event log, and it will look like a value event, but the log record will only show the channel name, as an event log item would do. 

The current workaound would be to split up your content in separate channels, and log these with individual value event log items.

In some cases where I have had the need for storing batch data, I have been thinking that it would have been nice to have some sort of struct type when logging, with one event saving multiple channels of different value types.

I can change the question topic into a feature idea if you like?

I think that it is a good idea to change it to feature idea. The ability to log an array is available on other platforms.  it makes it much easier to look at the data when trying to compare or graph multiple items from the same time stamp.  You can make the data appear like saving the data from IQAN run after using a measure group.

This would help a lot. Or is there another way to log let's say 3 differents channels at 1s intervals and then save in Excel format in a way that all 3 channels can be shown on a graph?

Or even shown in iqanrun with the graphing tool just like a measure group but from the MD4 memory?

I log the channels separately and then use Kutools for Excel to get a nice table that can be graphed and sorted:

I find it useful for all kinds of iQAN logs with multiple values logged at the same timestamp.

+1

Interesting. The way I have done it is to use a text formatting channel to concat values separated by a ";". This way I have a single log entry for multiple readings. Then in Excel, I use the tool "Text to columns" that is builtin Excel to separate the values in columns. Problem is that the looged values are for the end user use and not everybody has the required knowledge required to do that in Excel if the goal is only to create graphs.