Fixed

Getting clone out of multi master display application

Ed Schippers 5 years ago in IQANrun updated by Gustav Widén (System support) 5 years ago 2

The multi master system i build has 3 MD4 displays.

0ne of the displays , not the head master, had some problems with the screen so needed replacement.

So I took a clone file of the system, using ethernet on the head master. the upload, specially from the other  displays, this took forever. around 2 hours. 

After getting the clone file, I send the file to the new display , disconnected the rest to safe time

This worked only partly, functionality was ok, but a lot of pictures of lamps and buttons were missing.

I send the clone to the complete system. again it took forever and with no better result.

Then downloaded the setting,  opened the clone file in design en uploaded from there, this again took ages.

This worked ok, after sending the settings all was running perfect.

What could have been the problem with the pictures?

And is there any way to speed up the process? 

Under review

A good way to speed up the process of getting a clone is to make use of the IQANrun firmware cache. 

After successfully retrieving a clone file, IQANrun saves the firmware resources on the PC. 

Once you have retrieved a clone from a machine that has a master module of a specific type type (e.g. MD4) and IQAN firmware version, (e.g. 5.04.14),  then retrieving a clone from another machine with the same master module type and version is much faster. IQANrun finds the IQAN firmware in the cache. 

For the MD4, other resources such as images, languages and so forth are cached in the same way, so retrieving another clone from a second machine that has the same project file version will be even faster. 

What I realized just now is that the firmware cache that IQANrun stores on the PC is only saved after completing the get clone operation. In your case with multiple MD4:s in the system, IQANrun hadn't saved the firmware from the first module in this cache when it continued with the other modules, and therefore had to get large firmware (several MB) over the diagnostics CAN bus. 

One way to speed it up would have been to only have one MD4 connected the first time the clone was retrieved, ideally the module you wanted to replace. 

There is also another nicer way to speed it up. IQANrun can also add to its firmware cache without having to get clones first. If you have the right .idax file (or clone file from a machine with the same version), then just opening the file in IQANrun will add to the firmware cache. 

What I do not understand yet is why the sending of the images failed, but I think there could be a problem with how IQANrun handles the cache for clones of projects with multiple MD4:s. Investigating. 

Fixed

Fixed in 5.05. The same fix will come in 6.01.