Answered

10 Digit or More Number Entry

Kerry Brock 3 years ago in IQANdesign updated by Gustav Widén (System support) 3 years ago 3

Is there a way to enter a 10 digit number in IQANdesign?

I tried using an Integer Parameter channel to do so, but it appears to only allow 9 digits.

The goal is to manually enter an IQAN module serial number since the MDGN channel for a serial number is in text format and there is no way to convert it to a numerical value.

Answered

No, the integer parameter is a signed 32-bit.

For a 10 digit serial number, a text string is the better choice. 

Hi Gustav, the purpose of manually entering the serial number is to use it as a numerical value since we cannot use the MDGN channel and "pull" the serial number in and use it directly as a number.  The MDGN channel formats the serial in text.

We need a way to use the serial number in a math channel to manipulate its value, so using a text string is not practical. If there is a way to enter the serial number as a text or use the MDGN channel and convert it to a numerical value I would be interested in how to do that.

If you manually enter the 10 digit number, you cannot fit it in a 32-bit integer, you would need two channels. And the integer math operations are also limited to 32-bit. 

I think that a feature for text strings is the better option. https://forum.iqan.se/en/communities/1/topics/1013-string-functions