+1
Under review

CAN-FD

OLIVIER CÔTÉ 1 month ago in IQANdesign updated by Gustav Widén (System support) 3 weeks ago 4

Does Parker IQAN team has any plan/interest to implement CAN-FD (Flexible Data Rate) capability in the future ? 

Under review

CAN FD is currently supported on the expansion bus between MC4 and XC4 modules. 

IQAN-MC4 has CAN FD hardware on buses A, B and C. 

The MD5 also has hardware support for CAN FD on all buses.

G12 has hardware support for CAN FD.

The next step is probably a selectable bitrate with CAN FD as an option on the Diagnostics and Master bus. 

CAN FD on J1939 using J1939-22 is also on the roadmap.

I'm not quite sure how can we access to these options ?

Image 4495

I just purchase the latest version (IQAN design 7.02), did a quick new project creation on a MC43FS on and I couldn't get flexible data rate, neither on the speed or DLC :

Image 4498

Image 4497

What Am-I doing wrong, am-I not well understanding what's CAN-FD ? 

For reference : https://www.influxbigdata.in/post/can-fd-protocol-explanation-evolution

So if I well understand it's only used / supported for "proprietary" IQAN nodes communication port, not on other system interfacing ports. Are you planning to expend the controllers capability by implementing these protocol options (Datalenght + Frequency switch) on "User"'s CAN as well ? I've to deal with a "generic" FD can at the moment and it unfortunately sounds like IQAN MC4 serie could be an option ;( but I was hopping it could be one in the future... 

The ability to use CAN FD on the IQANdesign Gerneric CAN is another case we are also looking at. 

What is still unclear to me is what kind of higher layer protocols this would be used with.