IQAN-XC10 max output current exceeded

Eric Metz 7 years ago in Expansion modules / XC10 updated by Gustav Widén (System support) 7 years ago 4

What happens if I try to drive a load that is greater than 2.5amps with the HS output of a XC-10?

It depends on how high above 2.5A you are going.

The XC10 high-side DOUT:s are protected against both short to ground and over current.

https://www.parker.com/literature/Electronic%20Controls%20Division/Literature%20files/iqan-xc10_uk_instructionbook.pdf

If the DOUT is shorted to ground, it will switch off more or less instantly.

It the DOUT is overloaded, there is also an over-current protection. For the XC10 this protection is parts thermal, so it is difficult to know exactly when the output will switch off.

One thing to consider is that even the 2.5 A maximum current on the XC10 DOUT:s may be too high, if several adjacent DOUT:s are running 2.5 A each, that may be overheating the module too.

Is it ok if I move this ticket to the public part of the forum so that others can see it?

Thanks for the info. Yes, it would be fine with me if you move this to a public discussion.

Thank you,

Eric Metz

For the Over Current protection I keep seeing it throw Overload faults at low duty cycles only (roughly 15%) at this point it looks like our control loop is regularly setting the output off, then back on at minimum value (min value is 15%). Is this fault likely due to inrush currents to the coil or does the XC10 not like having its PWM outputs cycled on and off. Like I said this only seams to occur at small duty cycles, once running continously at 20-70% on the output we don't see overload faults.

A coil for a hydraulic valve is an inductive load, so it would not have an inrush current in the same way as e.g. an incandescent light bulb.

I believe it is the other reason, that the output is being cycled on and off. The XC10 does not have nearly as accurate current measurement as the IQAN modules that have COUT:s, e.g. the XA2 or MC43.

To compensate for this limitation in current measurement, the XC10 has been designed with a much longer detection delay, about one second. Normally this should reduce the chances of having a false error, but I am guessing that the rapid change in command interferes with the detection in this case.

The IQAN-XC10 has properties for disabling under current reporting when the output is on (would be seen as open load), but it is not possible to switch off the error detection for over current.